Monday, March 12, 2007

Malaysians Love Car Accidents

No, seriously. I'm pretty certain that they do. After all, ever since the distance of my monotonous drive to work lengthened, the chances of seeing a vehicular mishap appear to have doubled. Hurrah. Anyway, I just can't understand why there has to be an accident every single day. I mean, I think this is just taking the phrase "rush hour" a little bit too literally. Okay, I know that everyone's rushing to work etc etc etc. But after seeing these other vehicles that get into accidents, doesn't some little bell ring in their tiny little skulls? Granted we're not talking about major accidents like head-on collisions (although these do happen often enough) but even fender benders would cause much inconvenience not only to the drivers involved but also to the other people who are trying to get to work on time.

It is near-impossible to predict traffic conditions in the Klang Valley. Believe me, I've tried. Even an oracle wouldn't be able to predict it. Maybe we should create some kind of traffic astrology for the Klang valley. We're talking about countless variables here. Who knows when an abandoned car with a crushed roof would be parked by the side of the road with some walkie-talkie-wielding people scurrying around would draw so much attention from cars passing by? I have no idea what it was about, and basically I just didn't care. Malaysians are funny that way, paradoxical in things that they do. They say we have the 'tidak apa' attitude but obviously they haven't seen Malaysians' 'kay-poh-ness' at its height. Contradictory creatures that Malaysians are, they drive like maniacs to work but are wiling to slow down just to stare at anything out of the ordinary.


Anyway, I digress. I'm not going to elaborate on staring Malaysians who like to buy 4D or are just nosy parkers in general. I'm talking about the guys who don't understand that getting into an accident will delay their journey to work. Really. So tail-gating, zig-zagging in between cars and flooring it all the way to the office could in likelihood defeat the purpose of doing all of the aforesaid in the first place.

But logic does not feature where love is concerned. Since Malaysian drivers appear not to comprehend the repercussions of their ways, I can only conclude that they love car accidents. Maybe it's the 4D appeal. Maybe they just want to reach out and communicate with someone (i.e. the owner of the car bumper they just wrecked). Maybe it's peer pressure since the number of vehicular accidents have increased steadily over the years and don't we all love to be part of the 'in' crowd!

So there you go. I'll have to get used to the fender benders at 7:45 a.m. and try not to slow down my car like the rest of the fools on the road to watch. Peer pressure la.

No comments: